Monday, April 9, 2007

Technology - is everyone ready for it?

As I read through the chapters when I was on vacation, and I read about the various programs available, and I began to wonder how many are really out there that we don't know about. Is what we use good enough? Is there more out there that I can use? Is there something better than what I already use? It just amazes me how fast it all turns about.

I then began to discuss this technology with my mother who taught for 27 years (retired 2 years ago). As I brought up the video ipods and using them in the classroom, she wondered "what the hell is a video ipod". Then I asked her about the use of computers as more than just a typing tool (word documents). Besides emails, that really the only thing my mother uses it for. I then went off on a tangent and started to discuss the use of smartboards with my class and my geometry unit that I am doing my matrix on. She had no idea what a smartboard was, and when I started to explain it, I got to "it's similar to a touch computer screen"...and that was it, I lost her. I continued to read and discuss various technology with my mother and then my father and it was all too much for them to handle. (of course an hour later I had to help set up their new VCR and program it for them, so that should say it all!!).Programs and technology change so rapidly that as soon as I enjoy using something with a lesson or a subject, it's old news and something else is there ready to take it's place, and I have to learn something new all over again. I am used to that and I am ready to leap forward, learn more, use more, and engage in more technology as it becomes available.


** On a side note, while in Arizona, it amazed me on the school systems out there. They are ranked 48th or 49th in education - basically due to the immigrant workers. A friend of the family had a 200% turn over rate from AUgust so far in her classroom (1st grade). She doesn't have any of the same students in her class that are in her class picture taken in September. I thought that was amazing. I also thought the fact that the only computers that are found in certain school districts are those donated by companies and such (which are usually out of date). And also, very hard to use a wireless laptop in the middle of the desert!

1 comment:

Mitchelll said...

I sometimes feel like I'm in a race, the starter pistol goes off, my feet are moving as fast as I can but I never go anywhere. I get this feeling when I'm trying to find some new way of presenting material, especially with technology or electronic resources. When do you stop looking? There's so much out there. How do you know if you have the best resource or equipment to get the material across? When is it good enough? I know philosophically we should all be reflective and endeavoring to improve our instruction but realistically, it's not practical. No one has that kind of time. Any thoughts?