Monday, April 23, 2007

Technology

Through the last week there have been heavy thoughts and concerns on every one's mind. First the water came, and it just kept coming. Through technology of the television, computers and telephones we were able to realize that the rain just wasn't your typical shower. The weather men used their technology to know just how bad it would be. People were warned...people were told, but I am not sure many listened. I was the fortunate one, and didn't get any water. The only issue the water caused me was to figure out a new, and yet much longer way to work. People in the flooded areas had much more to worry about. The technology that towns have, there should have been better communication. I know that the reverse 911 would have been a quick and easy way to warn people in flood areas that they need to get out, instead of having to rescue them in the middle of the night or throughout the following day. I actually got two reverse 911 calls, one on Sunday and one on Monday, to warn me of the awful conditions of the roads, and to be aware of local and home flooding, as well as the fact that they did declare a "state of emergency" so I was asked to stay off the roads. I think that this type of technology is very useful and could be used more often to keep townspeople in the loop of things.
The other thing that of course is on everyone's mind is the horrible and tragic event at Virginia Tech. Yes, they did get an email, but was that enough, and was it quick enough. Apparently not considering that 30 other people died after the email was sent. They have discussed on tv and in several articles that I have read and seen that text messages to cell phones is an option that should be used. Of course it seems logical enough since I am sure that most college students have a cell phone. I know that I got an email from Montclair asking me to register my cell phone. As a resident of the small town of Dumont, where a VT casualty lived, a small town bonded during this harsh time, and of course technology was in the mix as well. Again, reverse 911 calls were sent out telling the town residents that the middle of town would be closed due to the wake of Matthew LaPorte, and a police sign was posted in the middle of town paying respects to Matthew LaPorte.
I think that we always seem to brag about the technology things we have, but yet at times when technology is crucial, we realize what technology we really don't have or don't know how to use.
Hopefully through these tragedies we can understand, use and implement technology in an easy and informational way.

2 comments:

Mitchelll said...

So many "what ifs" when a tragedy like this happens, much like what I experienced earlier this year with the tragic suicide at my school. I don't know at this point if we can judge what should have or could have been done differently. The student we lost also sent emails and text messages and letters and yet it still happened. We can only hope to learn from these dark experiences and perhaps rethink how we do things and the role that technology and communication devises and protocols will play (if God forbid) we are ever faced with a similar situation.

Kathy Cook said...

I lamented in my blog this week about the same happenings you did.
I was reminded when I read your entry that, if I were a Virginia Tech parent, I would be very happy that my children were equipped with cell phones and able to communicate with me or my husband. Prior to 9/11/01, not all of my girls had one; after that event, we made sure that they did.
I NEVER want them to be in a position, no matter how old they may be, where they could not let us know that all was well or that they needed us. On 9/11, our oldest daughter, who works in NY, was in constant touch with her dad telling him where she was and how she was...even when a stranger picked her and coworker up and drove them through the tunnel and home! Thank you, God, for technology! (Am I allowed to say that on a blog for state school students?)