Sunday, April 29, 2007

Articles on Technology

I read parts of the articles about Technology. We discussed some of them in class on Tuesday. The one thing that got brought up was the fact that there were very few people onboard of the study of software that were educators. If they are going to do a FEDERAL study on reading and math software why aren't they asking teachers for input, help, and suggestions with this study. The No Child Left Behind Act has caused some stir among educators, superintendents and the board of education, and now Congress is implementing this study to help with the No Child Left Behind Act. Millions of dollars are being spent on this study, yet there are still school districts all over the United States that are no up to date on books, supplies or technology. Sometime I wonder if political people actually know what is going on in the "real world".

I also enjoyed reading how YouTube is one of the new technology trends in 2007. After discussing it in class on several occasions, I have actually used YouTUbe videos for several class discussions in class. I find it amazing what you can find on YouTube from the hilarious to the education to the completely stupid (as well as inappropriate). I also liked looking at the Teacher Tube lessons, and wonder if I would ever have enough guts to do something like that (not really!). There are so many technological advances taking place in 2007 and I am sure it is only going to continue on this fast track. I can't even imagine what education will be like in the next 10 years with technology.

I remember writing once about what I though like would be like in the year 2020, and I thought about flying cars and living in space and such. Okay, so maybe no flying cars or living in space, but for certain there will be reality technology that will allow you to think you are flying your cars or allow you to feel as if you are living in space.

2 comments:

Kathy Cook said...

Stacey, I think you should be lauded for incorporating so many innovations in your teaching. You take the time to research, scan, skim, select just the right method/technology/tool to get the job done. I have learned a lot from how you approach your class.

P.S. I loved how you "protected" your class during the drill. What a wonderful model for kids.

Mitchelll said...

Ditto on what Kathy said. Learning through a variety of ways (be it high tech or not) addresses the needs of ALL the students, prevents frustration and isolation, makes learning fun, and walking through your door becomes an anticipated adventure each day.